[pct-l] Halfmile maps, 2014 vs 2015

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 15 18:31:01 CST 2015

Hey Walt-

Wuz up?
I’m grilling some rib eyes and mushrooms on the barby...
listening to Pandora-
got some Todd Snider on,
banging out the song Beer Run.
lol.

I want to be clear-
I am not advocating going map-less.
I am more or less paying tribute to the trail builders,
designers,
advocates,
maintainers,
users,
volunteers and donors,
when I say that you COULD go map-less.
I would never consider such a feat,
at least in my rookie year,
but by maturing into a more seasoned hiker,
I marvel at the simplicity of the trail,
and with just a bit of trail sense,
realize that the ol’ trail keeps going like the Ever-ready Rabbit.
I am not feeling a need to be defensive,
but to be more clear in what I meant.
My habits as a rookie,
were double and triple in redundancy.
Fast forward to last year;
mile # 695...
I was west of Olancha Peak and east of a nondescript peak,
both of which were easily discernable on the maps of Half Mile.
I drew a straight line through the peaks and estimated that I was in the path of the line and on the trail at that exact point.
It was a bit of an epiphany for I acknowledged that I finally grasped the usefulness and practicality of using a topo. map,
and more importantly,
the realization that I could actually read a map and tell well the hell I was in relation to the terrain,
the map,
and my physical position.

Best regards,

Time to eat!