[pct-l] Camping south of Tehachapi

Michael Irving michaeljirving at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 20:05:15 CST 2015

Hi All,

As I plan my section hike in my eventual quest to hike the entire trail I'm trying to figure out a camping situation. I'll be flying down to So Cal on an early flight and getting to Tehachapi and leaving by maybe just after lunch so I'll only have a 1/2 day for my first day. I'll be going SOUTHBOUND from Tehachapi. Ideally, I'd like to camp around the mileage of "Oak Creek"/""Tehachapi/Willow Springs Road" at mile 558. As I was reading about this section, I read in the Wilderness Press book on the PCT (revised in 2003) that there is no camping allowed in this area as it is going through private property. I'm not sure what "this area" is pertaining to. It looks like the giant wind farm extends from about mile 556 all the way to mile 565 at Tehachapi. Does anyone know if there is a problem with camping in this stretch?  Obviously the book is getting dated at 12 years old so I am not sure if it's a big deal or not.  I see a camping possibility at mile 550, but 15 miles is more than I want to do on my first day being That I'll be starting from my house in Portland. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

-GoalTech