[pct-l] Camping south of Tehachapi

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 15 21:46:15 CST 2015

Michael-

I went to Half Mile’s maps to refresh my memory on the section of trail you are referring to.
After leaving the area of wind turbines,
you’ll encounter some forest,
and further on at mile #549,
right off the trail,
there is a water cache.
At least it was there in 2012,
and 2014,
when I passed through.
For some reason the PCT water report does not mention this cache.
Maybe it doesn’t mention any caches,
or perhaps is selective in the ones that are listed.
Directly behind the cache is a road.
This is the private property you speak of.
The road comes up out of Gamble Spring Canyon,
and parallels the PCT briefly.
At it’s closest point to the PCT,
is where the cache is located.
There’s also a cabin nearby and it’s on private property too.
>From a mile south of the cache- mile #548,
then backtracking to the north to mile #551,
‘are a few likely spots to camp,
with a bit of scouting around.
I base this on the flat spots indicated by widely spaced contour lines,
and also from memory.
You’ll have no problem finding a spot to camp in the forested areas.

PaintYW