[pct-l] Northerm Cascades and Snow (Changed)

Dan C. aka Thumper dofdear at cox.net
Fri Feb 20 14:49:39 CST 2015

Again, I looked at Harts Pass which is pretty close to a normal snow year. Same at Rainy Pass. As I recall you are somewhere south of these points where apparently there is much less snow.
My points;
1. For SOBO'ers starting beyween Rainy Pass and Manning Park might plan on a typical start in the 3rd week of June through mid July,
2. SNOTEL sites are notoriously incorrect as they only measure in the immediate area, read that, within a few feet. In 2010 the Harts Pass SNOTEL site measured 0 snow from 20 June and later yet when we actually arrived at Harts the site dod in fact have no snow but the trail, some 100 feet away was burried in 3+ feet. Between Manning and Harts, 25 June through 30 June the trail was 75% snow covered.

I recommend in addition to SNOTEL that hikers use the Snow Coverage Maps via the postholer.com site.

Later,

Thumper