[pct-l] Re, blister prevention

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Feb 24 10:26:14 CST 2015

Excellent post, Jeff, and so true!

I just want to add a bit regarding my experience with "heavy boots."
("Limmers," now).

Since 1964, I have been choosing to wear full leather hiking boots and most
of you know that I am out on the trails (and snow) teaching wilderness
skills for up to 200 days every year since 1982. I have never gotten a
blister!

I don't know why except it must be, as Jeff said, my boots offer a great
deal of ventilation as I walk. I feel my foot moving just a little bit in my
boot, maybe enough to cause a "pumping" of air around my foot, such that my
feet never get hot or sweat, even in the desert of SoCal. Yes, I do wear a
tight, thin liner sock under a thick, Smartwool outer sock, but rarely
change them during the day since my feet never get dirty or wet (unless I
keep my socks on while crossing a creek, then I change them out on the other
side).

I do not like a lot of movement of my foot within my boot, thus my boot size
has always only been a size bigger than my actual foot. My feet have never
swollen to a bigger size since high school, even after all these trail miles
(PCT and CDT included).

Gaiters do help keep dirt, snow, and water out and I like to use the tallest
versions I can find (but then I'm largely on snow most of the time and
postholing without them can often cause my legs to get cut up on the ice
layers and hidden rocks, boulders, and trees under the surface of the snow).
The nice thing about tall, waterproof gaiters shows up when crossing
shin-deep creeks wearing both my sealed, leather boots and w/p gaiters,
water doesn't leak under the gaiters and spill into my boots! Again, I don't
know why, but I like it since my feet stay dry!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."