[pct-l] planning - Walker Pass to Mt Whitney (Lone Pine)

Sarah Estrella skestrella at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 24 12:36:23 CST 2015

Hi WV,
I hiked from highway 58 to Whitney and out Whitney Portal last September. The permit process is very confusing. I called Sequoia NF and Inyo NF three times each because each kept referring me to the other one. So they don't even seem to know for sure. The bottom line was Sequoia NF issues the permit because the first place you need a permit for is Golden Trout Wilderness. I used the application at www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_058990.pdf
Fill in your itinerary with Mt Whitney at the end and mail it in! You'll get a funky permit back by mail so no need to pick anything up.
On Whitney, a ranger checked my permit and said he'd "never seen one like that but it looks legit". I did keep it in the envelope it came in.
Have a great time! One of my best hikes ever.
FreeRange

Sent from my iPhone