[pct-l] Does foot size increase on long hike...and how much?

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Sat Jan 3 18:50:29 CST 2015

While some people have issues with foot size changing right away, this isn't a for sure thing for everyone.  I hiked the first 700 miles a few years ago, and ended wearing the same size as when I started.  I did 350 to 450 mile chunks after that each summer (as well as considerable other hiking, and am still wearing the same size shoe.  I also have extra skinny feet.  If I had worn shoes even a size too big, the slop in the shoes would have made for miserable walking and caused blisters.  So while growing feet might be common, it isn't going to happen to everyone.  You might consider starting out with the 1/2 size larger and make plans to reorder as necessary on the trail so you aren't stuck ahead of time with shoes you won't ever wear. Planing to cut part of your shoe away like Luce mentioned might be the ticket if you don't want to guess what will happen or not.