[pct-l] shoe size - to change or not to change

Mike Smith mike.sm64 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 12:32:23 CST 2015

My experience is that my feet definitely expanded on the trail. They grew a
full size and then shrunk back only one-half size after several months off
the trail. They have remained permanently larger.

Fortunately, I planned for this due to some good advise.
   1)  I did some serious preparation hiking prior to the trip to toughen
my feet (among other parts).
   2)  I started the trip with shoes that were almost a size too large, but
wearing three pairs of socks:
      a) thin poly propylene liner socks,
      b) thin wool liner socks (Smartwool), and
      c) regular hiking socks which were then Light Hiker socks by
Smartwool.
   3) As my feet swelled, I removed socks. At one point in southern
California, I was down to just wearing the polypropylene pair for a few
days.
   4) After a month or so, I was settled in at just two pair: the
polypropylene and regular, and my shoes fit very well.

   Now that I have a permanent expansion, I do not find the need to do the
extra-socks thing. I have modernized to a single pair of fairly thin socks,
but with shoes sized to handle some on-the-trail swelling.

   Everyone's feet are different and my experience may be somewhat unique
(the PCT was my first long trail), but there needs to be some awareness. I
remember watching hikers limp into Warner Springs.No one complained about
their shoes being too big!

Happy trails, --Lightfoot