[pct-l] San Diego Hiker Host 2015

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 21:32:40 CST 2015

Robert Reiss!

A TIN HUT!
A tin hut?
There’s no tin hut in the ocean!
A little inter-military branches humor there folks...
take it easy.

Bob,

It’s so good to hear from you and see that it is full speed ahead for the 2015 hiking season.
Thank you once again for everything that you and your peers do-
for all of us drawn to the trail...
and dare I say:
like moths at night are drawn to a light.
;o)

In recollection,
I made arrangements for Bob to pick me up at the San Diego airport in 2013,
having flown in by way of Chicago to Los Angeles to San Diego.
Like clockwork...
Bob was there.
Bob and another NOBO hiker,
who I think was named Aaron,
and hailing from the great state of Texas,
were awaiting my arrival outside the airport terminal,
poised to pick me up in Bob’s van,
just as portrayed in one of the most recent (2012) class videos.

Bob was a gracious host as any,
and took the both of us shopping for last minute provisions.

Arriving at Bob’s house,
comfortable as a well worn shoe,
Aaron selected an RV for respite,
and I took an upstairs bedroom.

Bob opened his home to us and with only two hikers present,
proved beyond accommodating.
Beers were quaffed,
packs were prepared,
a meal was served and arrangements were made for the next days departure.

Soaking in Bob’s swimming pool at night,
with the blazing twinkling lights of Mexican abodes on the horizon to the south...
the atmosphere was sublime.

June 20th, 2013.

A 5 am departure for a 6 am arrival was agreed upon by all.

The next day,
4:58 am appeared on the van’s digital clock display,
as the sound of the last door to be be shut ringed out,
signaling that a very special reality was about to unfold.

Taking a serpentine route east,
Bob, Aaron and I,
motored in darkness for upwards of an hour heading to the promised land.
Copious amounts of coffee dictated a bladder relief stop,
coinciding with good hearted Bob,
placing a gallon of water at a conspicuous cache spot on the PCT,
intersecting our route inbound.
Validation.
There’s the frickin’ trail!

In short order,
two hikers and a guardian angel stood at the southern terminus,
taking the requisite pictures.
Then,
northbound headed two ambitious and optimistic hikers,
and...
an old salt bid them a familiar but sincere and fond farewell,
likely wondering if they had the right stuff to make it to monument marker #78.

This cat didn’t make it...
tapping out at Sonora Pass,
in early October,
very pleased with his hike and happy to have met so many wonderful hikers NOBO and SOBO along the way,
to include:
trail angels extraordinaire:
many being met for a second time and some for the first.

Thank You.
Thank You.
Thank You.

PaintYW