[pct-l] FUEL

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 13:39:11 CST 2015

Brick wrote:"
There are 2 types of HEET. One in a red bottle that you don't want to
use, as it is petroleum based and won't work in your alky stove
(BOOM!)

The other HEET is in a yellow bottle and it is just denatured alcohol.
AND non HEET denatured alcohol is available along the trail in lots of
places."Reply:

A little time with Google searching for the MSDS, plus some time on the relevant Wikipedia pages reveals:
Iso Heet (e.g. "Red Bottle" Heet) is 99% isopropanol and 1% proprietary additives.  The Google reveals that isopropanol is AKA isopropyl alcohol (e.g. rubbing alcohol).  Isopropyl alcohol is made by combining water and propene in a hydration reaction.  Primary sources of propene are as byproducts of oil and gas refining, although its also a byproduct of the fermentation process.  Propene is a gas at normal atmospheric temperature and pressure.  In that sense, yes, Iso Heet is petroleum based in that is how it's primary material is obtained....but it's hardly like white gas, gasoline, diesel, etc in that it isn't distilled from crude oil. Red Heet isn't preferred since it burns dirty in a typical alcohol stove - I know from first hand experience....it was all I could find in Lake Isabella so had to use it for a few days.  That said, it works.  I used a "Cat Can" alcohol stove back in '06.

 Heet (e.g. "Yellow Bottle" Heet) is 99% methanol (wood alcohol) and 1% proprietary additives.
Denatured Alcohol ("DNA") is a bit more challenging since there are many formulas.  The MSDS for "Kleen Strip Green" brand DNA (sold at Big Box Home Supply Stores with orange as a primary logo color) is 85-90% ethyl alcohol (drinking alcohol), less than 5% methanol (e.g. methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, the same as the primary material in Yellow Bottle HEET), less than 3% methyl isobutyl ketone, less than 2% each acetic acid and heptane.  This MSDS notes that this is a poisionous mix so no drinking the stuff.