[pct-l] Footwear

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:41:52 CST 2015

Leslie -

My experience was that my feet grew 1.5 sizes on my first thru-hike, and
they've stayed the same since then.  So if you're an active person already,
you might not see the growth.

I like to wear Men's shoes when I hike, because the toe box is bigger,
which allows my toes room to breathe.  Imagine strumming your fingers on a
table.  I like to be able to do a similar motion with my toes in my hiking
shoes.  Having that much space prevents blisters.

Also, there is fine, fine sand all along the PCT.  This gets into your
shoes, inside your socks, and between your toes.  If your toes are squished
together, then the friction of your toes and the sand will cause blisters
between your toes.

Not everyone has the same experience, though.  Try out a couple different
styles/sizes of shoes on your training hikes.  You'll find what works for
you.

Yogi
www.yogisbooks.com