[pct-l] Footwear

Jeffrey Olson philos56 at live.com
Thu Jan 29 11:25:00 CST 2015

My feet were 12EE when I started doing long section hikes.  Now the SL-2
last New Balance running shoes I wear are 14EEEE.  There are times when
I wonder if I shouldn't get a pair of 14EEEEEE.  I never see those on
sale though.

http://www.aperfectdealer.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/sitepages/tekfit.html?E+scstore

Also, insoles are fairly important - get insoles from superfeet or ed
viesturs (or?).  They add a bit of volume you need to account for.

I've also found that I really like the feeling of my forefoot being
really loose in the shoe, and the laces being tighter over the arch.  I
tie a double knot just below the high point of the arch so that the
laces are really loose over the forefoot and I can adjust the tension
over the arch.  Tighter for going downhill, looser for flats and uphill...

I've also found that when I get a new pair of hiking shoes it really
helps to run a piece of high quality duct tape from the sole, up the
inside back of the shoe and over the top and down.  the tape starts
underneath the insole.  This really cuts down on heel blisters. Blisters
are caused by a combination of heat, moisture and friction.  The duct
tape gets rid of the friction.     It doesn't work as well if the shoe
is dirty, but it still works.  tight socks are important too.

Jeff