[pct-l] So, you're going on a hike...

Bob bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 30 08:03:35 CST 2015

> You will have a few moments when you realize just how crazy what you are
doing is (particularly when you are cold, and tired) but these are generally
followed by moments when you realize just how right what you are doing is.

Which brings to mind one of my favorite hiking quotes from Karl Ellingson's
PCT book:

"The next morning I found my pants frozen stiff and inside out. It took an
hour to turn them right side out and to screw up enough courage to get into
them. By then the sun was glistening on a smattering of new snow and
hoar-frosted pines. It was there I learned that the time interval between a
totally miserable situation and one of euphoric elation could be very short.
It has happened so many times and is a comforting thought to have when
things look bleak."
-    Karl Ellingson,  2500-Mile Walk, An Oldtimer on the Pacific Crest
Trail.

Dr Bob