[pct-l] shoes

Timothy Potter tpotter7 at icloud.com
Thu Jul 2 19:43:38 CDT 2015

Leah,

I have seen a lot of Cascadias on the trail this year, but without exception, they are all prematurely getting holes in the uppers right where they bend at the forefoot. It seems that Brooks has made some type of bad design change that makes the shoes inadequate for long distance hiking. When my hiker friends call Brooks, they get no help. Brooks just says that they are not made for hiking with a pack which is crazy as some of those people weigh less with a pack than most people weigh without a pack. The other very common shoes on the trail are Altra Long Peak's. They look weird but work great for this type of foot stress. They are also pretty expensive and seems to be wearing out between 400-500 miles for me. Other than watching for end of year sales or something like that, I don't know how to avoid spending a lot on shoes. I actually bought 4 pair of Solomon's before I left and then switched to Altras part way through the hike. I'll still use the Solomon's or running when I get back, but my point is that buying in advance does not always work either.

Best of luck,
Cloud Rider