[pct-l] Sleeping bag maintanence

Keenan keenangrimes at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 2 18:02:27 CDT 2015

I have a question about sleeping bag maintenance. I had a sleeping bag that I left in Kauai for over a year that sat outside, not in direct sunlight ever, but in the heat. And I just had it mailed to me here in LA in preparation for my PCT section hike and the sleeping bag is very "crunchy" now. With a tiny bit of mold on it. I was wondering if Baking Soda would have any ill effect on the down or the sleeping bag material because I know you can soak clothes in it and it makes them softer and gets rid of smells really well.

Any other suggestions on cleaning my bag and making it nicer? I would make a down quilt if I had the money but I gotta make due right now. If anyone has some decent sleeping bags or down quilts they would like to sell, or an ultra light tent/tarp I'm in the market, as it were.
Thanks
Keenan