[pct-l] alcohol stove ban in WA/other stove options

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 13:22:08 CDT 2015

Just saw a note from FS in WA that alcohol stoves are prohibited at this
point.

I have a whisperlite, which is allowed, but I'm a bit concerned about using
it. Lighting it usually involves a significant amount of flame right at
ground level, and it seems like it presents an even greater hazard than the
alcohol stove.

Canister stoves sound safest, but I'm concerned about fuel availability
once out on the trail.

I'd love to hear what others are doing about stoves in Washington.