[pct-l] Lassen trail maintenance

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 10 20:30:45 CDT 2015

I was in Lassen over July 4, from Twin Bridges to Twin Lakes.    The park website had said
that tree clearing on the PCT would take place in late June, and it certainly did.    Clean
as a whistle.

Unfortunately several miles north of Lower Twin Lake count as some of the least interesting
in the whole trail, made worse in some ways by the Reading
fire three years ago (but the wildflowers
and distant panoramas are better than they were before).       The main interest is historical -
the Nobles Emigrant trail had a brief heyday in the 1850's.

Just as I did in 2001,
despite half looking for it, I walked by Soap Lake without noticing it.    It's just off the
trail.

The Wilderness Press guide recommends hiking through Cluster Lakes instead, and I wholeheartedly
agree.   Although the fire touched them too, Cluster Lake, Silver Lake, and Feather Lake are
pretty nice - not as good as Lower Twin but better than any lakes (if there are any at all)
until you've passed Castle Crags.     I suppose the PCT was not routed that way to reduce impact
on those lakes, so instead all the impact  is on Lower Twin and Hat Creek.

As of July 3, the northern part of the Cluster Lakes trail still had a lot of trees down, but
all small and easily bypassed in the gentle terrain.

Dayhikers have good access from the forest service road that passes about 1/2 mile from the
east end of Badger Flat.