[pct-l] Lassen Trail Maintenance

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:18:12 CDT 2015

Having spent some time backpacking in Lassen in 2007, making a large loop
around the park, I think the PCT through there deliberately misses the
better features there and takes a booring route.

Rather than the cluster lakes route, I think hikers would enjoy going over
to Rainbow lake and hiking by the painted lava fields  to Cinder Cone
before returning to the PCT which is what I did on my thruhike in 2009.
The view of the painted lava fields and Mt. Lassen from the top of Cinder
Cone is well worth the climb.  Also, they should take the short side trip
over to Devil's Kitchen from Drakesbad, which has better hydrothermal
features than Boiling Springs Lake.  I left my pack at Drakesbad, and the
hike over to it was flat and quick for thruhiker.