[pct-l] Oregon hiker trash

Andrea L. Bayliss anubaluxx at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 26 23:52:29 CDT 2015

With all the talk regarding hiker trash and impact in Yosemite, we wanted to put in our two cents about Oregon.  On July 2, we started section hiking the PCT here in Oregon at the Columbia River and are now getting ready to start our next section at Santiam Pass/Hwy 20, PCT mile 1998.5 headed SOBO.  There is trash and unfortunately a large amount of unburied poo at most campsites and frequently within 20 ft (usually less) of the only water source for miles.  The thru-hikers are still just trickling through, so it's obvious this is not from them.  Many of these areas are frequented by day hikers and weekenders, the most likely culprits.  Having spent most of our lives backpacking Oregon, we're horrified by these conditions, and do our best to clean up and carry out what trash we can.
On the positive side, it's still beautiful here, no fires have taken hold yet along the PCT in the Mt. Jefferson area (they will), and water is still flowing in all but the seasonal springs and streams north of Hwy 20.  We look forward to meeting more NOBO thru-hikers in the coming weeks, knowing they will most likely leave no trace of their passage, except for their stories.  Enjoy Oregon, and word has it, Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood has a great buffet until around 2 PM.
Andrea and Montana