[pct-l] Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Wed Jun 3 12:40:06 CDT 2015

Lucky Man--

I believe that most people day-hiking TM to the Valley hit it early and use the shuttle to come back the same day. You do not need a permit to day hike to the Valley. To stay at Camp 4 technically requires a valid permit to hike out from the Valley the next day, and the PCTA permit will not qualify for that. Going from TM to the Valley is more down than up, and is the preferred direction of travel for the day hike.

It is possible to bum some space from a Pines car camper, but you still have a permit issue to deal with. Yosemite has plenty of rangers checking permits so you will want to be in compliance with the rules. If you are stopped with overnight gear heading down to the Valley they will ask for a valid permit, and saying 'I will find someone to stay with in Pines' will not work.

Another alternative is to try and get a walk-up permit when you get to TM and hike down to Little Yosemite Valley. The next morning is an easy hop into the Valley to catch the shuttle.

The backpackers' camp area at TM has not had any problems with theft of gear to my knowledge. Of course, secure your food properly. It will likely be pretty noisy at night.

Expect plenty of foot traffic on the trail and the Valley. Later in the day, especially between the Valley and the Half Dome turnoff, feels more like Disneyland then a national park (another good reason to go early). But it is some very fine country. You will likely want to come down the Mist Trail rather than the JMT. It has steep granite steps to descend that are usually slippery from the mist, but affords much better views. If there is any wind, anticipate getting pretty wet.

Herb