[pct-l] PCTA Statement on Water Caches

Gail Van Velzer vanvelzer at charter.net
Mon Mar 2 15:04:46 CST 2015

Excellent article that I whole-heartedly agree with.  As you can imagine,
with horses, I need much more water than a water cache has, so it's even
more important for me to explore my options with regards to water.  In some
instances, I must meet my trailer for water.  From the beginning, I decided
I wouldn't use any of the caches.  I too was faced with not finding water at
"reliable" sources...water tanks, guzzlers, etc.  I was recently faced with
having to ride down the mountain in the dark to Hiker Town.  We finally
found a spring at Horse Spring Camp, but it wasn't easy to find or get water
back to the horses.  It took 7 trips (.2 miles each way) through a lot of
brush and downed trees, hauling as much water as was possible to carry on
each trip.  I guess I'm still old school, where we relied on ourselves and
not artificial caches.

Also, in regards to one cache, Oasis Cache, Frankenstein sure caused my
horse to take notice!  He didn't spook, but I can see how some horses would.
The props, the pictures, the chairs, etc., don't really need to be there.
The spot is shady enough.  I have to agree with Jack Haskell, that all the
caches are causing people to be less safe on the trail.

Golly