[pct-l] PCTA Statement on Water Caches

Gail Van Velzer vanvelzer at charter.net
Mon Mar 2 18:42:04 CST 2015

I like the well idea and you could use solar power for a pump and filter.

One thing I learned is that the Forest Service is not taking care of the
wells that are already out there, like Bike Spring.  It's been dry for
years.  There are a lot of wells, and springs up in Angeles Crest that are
also dry.  The ones along from Maxwell CG to Hiker Town also are dry.  One
of our drivers was an LA County Fire Dept. supervisor, who also worked for
the forest service at one time.  He told me that they aren't maintaining the
wells, which are historically used for fires, due to cost (supposed).  They
use inmate labor, at $1./day to clear trails and do other "fire" work.  The
inmates get $.1/hour if they are fighting a fire.  That doesn't sound
expensive to me!  They instead use helicopters to bring water to a fire,
from wherever they can get it, which might be quite a distance.  In the
meantime, the fire burns, causing much more damage (and cost).  The cost of
operating a helicopter can't be less than $1./hour.  I wonder if we can't
put pressure on the Forest Service to maintain and fix what is already
there?  After all, the San Gabriels are now a National Monument and we're
supposed to be getting extra funding, right?  LOL!  Who knows the story on
the tank at Guffy CG?  It's been dry for years and getting to the water, if
you can find it, isn't easy either.  That's one tank that could be filled.
Is the problem with people leaving the valve on?  How about the resevoir
that is used for either snow making or water in Wrightwood (I don't know)
being accessable to hikers?  I think there's lots that could be done.
Golly