[pct-l] first pair of shoes

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 20:35:04 CST 2015

Hey Sid,

I began the High Sierra with a very light pair of slippers for crossing
streams, but found that we crossed so many streams in a day, we would have
spent half our time changing in and out of shoes.  It really slowed us all
down.  Even the one person who was in real boots was wading the streams in
his boots by the second day.  It was simply too much trouble, and for all
of us the exertion of hiking over snow for weeks kept our feet warm simply
because we were working so hard.  The temps in early spring Sierra are
usually not so drastic as to cause issues such as frost bite, and for the
rest of us, our trail runners dried in less than an hour.

On the matter of Crocs, they can be a great substitute for your shoes in a
pinch and one of my favorite people on my PCT hike was Amoeba, an older
lady who had hiked the full AT twice in Crocs and hiked a good portion of
the PCT in them as well.  I met several others hiking the AT this past
summer in Crocs.  The force of the water in many of the Sierra stream
crossings is so great, however, that you may end up having one or more of
them blow right off your feet in the middle of the ford.  I hike with very
loose shoe laces and have to tighten them up to make any serious wade.  So,
Crocs are good to have, but be careful of really swift water.

So, as with Dan and Brian, I wouldn't bother on another pair of shoes.  One
pound is a lot out there.

Have a wonderful hike!

Shroomer