[pct-l] PCTA Statement on Water Caches

Walljito walljito at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 15:09:26 CST 2015

The subject "Statement" may be read here:
http://www.pcta.org/2015/problem-water-caches-pct-27677/

First, please note that the Subject is "WATER CACHES". We are NOT talking
about candy and beer.

The "Statement" seems very muddled to me. In a VERY big font, it asks:
What is the PCTA doing?
... but never answers the question except with vague generalities.

The "Statement" also seemed muddled in terms of basics
 ... such as ... what the "purpose" of PCTA is.

The first sentence of the PCTA Mission Statement, says
"The Mission ... is to protect, preserve and promote..."
read it for yourself here
http://www.pcta.org/about-us/our-mission-vision-and-values/

A central issue raised in the "Statement" is: "How easy should the PCT be?"

So "protect and preserve" by making it harder and more dangerous, thus
discouraging its use?
And how does that relate to "promote", or does this pertain to attracting
money?
A PCTA concern for how "easy" the PCT is seems like micromanagement of the
worst kind.

The "Statement" seems also muddled in terms of content
 ... such as acknowledging that water cashes are literally "vital" in some
places and under some circumstances
for example
"... There are, admittedly, a few exceptionally long dry stretches that
warrant a solution, and water caches may be an appropriate stopgap. There
are about four of these locations: two in Southern California, one in
Northern California, and one in Oregon. ... And there are other factors to
consider. "Reliable" water sources can go dry - recent years of drought have
proved that."

 yet coming to the following conclusion ...
 " If you've thought of placing a cache, we urge you to find a different way
to join in the magic of the PCT."

So, PCTA, if you don't want hiker-friends to supply and maintain WATER
cashes, what is your solution?
Until you are ready to publish an answer, it seems irresponsible to tell
others not to put water where it may be vitally needed.