[pct-l] Sandals

Stephen Adams reddirt23 at att.net
Fri Mar 6 09:37:59 CST 2015

Lots of pros and cons regarding hiking in sandals.  I have often hiked with both my shoes and bring my sandals along for a little breather.  Last time I hiked in sandals my feet got some painful cracks, and it gets worse as trail dirt infects the open bleeding sores etc...  By the end of that day it was getting very painful to walk.  Have also got a couple pretty good scrapes from sticks getting jammed into my foot.  Another problem I have encountered has been some tendon soreness after a couple hours hiking in sandals.  This is probably with regards to having a different muscle tendon stress compared to shoes, but I have experienced the issue on several occasions.  Water crossings... I'd much rather have my shoes on for protection.  Have had sandals do all sorts of weird things in very cold rocky creeks.
If it were me, I would do some serious testing before heading out on a multi day hike with just sandals.  Just saying.