[pct-l] sandals

River Malcolm river at orcasonline.com
Sat Mar 7 15:39:28 CST 2015

Do you a specific brand? Back strap or not? (rubbing) I was looking at Keen Waimbea H2, They have a front toe guard.

Hi Sid,

I hiked the first 200 miles in Chaco Z1s, with socks (silk liners plus smart wool medium hiking socks). After that I switched to trail runners so i could wear crampons. I did not have any problems with the sandals and in fact loved them.

The chacos were great except when i tried to wear crampons. terrible blisters. don’t try it.

I hope for my next section to wear chacos unless there is snow expected, then stick something stronger in my resupply box. I am thinking of merrell moab ventilators at the moment. Salomon xa pro 3D ultra were great for me in the past, but they made them so narrow that even the wide is now painful for me to wear. Have not had good luck alas with other wide trail runners.

Good luck on the trail. Hope it is as transformative for you as it has been for me.

River