[pct-l] Re, blister prevention

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Mar 4 03:15:35 CST 2015

Yoshi,
Long time no see.
Great info on blister prevention.
Today's society, due to centuries of foot protection, has developed
soft and tender feet and skin which are susceptible to blisters.
Blisters, as already mentioned, are caused by prolonged pressure and
friction which causes tissue damage, and the body, to protect the
damaged tissue, responds by secreting fluid to the damaged tissue to
create a cushion or buffer between the pressure point and the already
damaged tissue.
Society, in a similar way, tries to prevent blisters by applying a
artificial cushion or buffer, in the form of socks, moleskin, etc.

Did you ever wonder why "CAVEMAN" did not have a blister problem?
Simple...Caveman ran around barefooted and developed tough feet and
callused skin.

Or why a construction worker, swinging a hammer all day long, does
not have a blister problem?....Same reason...tough callused skin.

Or why Marine "Grunts" (Infantry), running around all day in stiff
combat boots, after a few month, don't have blister problems?
Same reason...tough feet and callused skin.

That is the body's "NATURAL" way to blister prevention.

So, it seems to me that we have 2 ways to prevent blisters.
1. The "Artificial" way....moleskin & layers of socks.
2. The body's "Natural" way...tough callused skin.

How do you get tough feet and callused skin?
Simple...join the USMC...or do like "Caveman" did.

BTW....You ain't really "Hard Core" until you climbed Whitney in
combat boots.

Switchback claims you ain't really "Hard Core" until you climbed
Whitney in "Fuzzy Pink Camp Slippers".

JMT Reinhold
Your trail companion who climbed Whitney in combat boots

Yoshi wrote:
The friction blisters are well summarized in this paper. I wrote my
handbook based on this paper.

http://www.oandp.org/publications/jop/2008/2008-19.pdf
​

---