[pct-l] Homeless vs Thru-Hiker

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Mar 12 02:34:33 CDT 2015

Say Switchback,
Did you ever wonder how you can tell a  "Homeless"  from a "Thru-hiker"?
I know, I know, Goretex is the usual answer because no self respecting
homeless will ever wear Goretex.

Sometime ago, I stopped at a Burger King and noticed a guy asking for
handouts.
I usually don't give them money, because I figure they will just buy
more wine which is not good but , instead, I buy an extra burger for
them which, I figure, will do them some good.
Well, this guy really looked bad I mean he looked filthy, wore dirty
grubby cloth and just had that malnourished and far away look in his eyes.
I said to myself, boy this guy really is "down & out".....I've never
seen a  "Homeless"  look that bad.
So I took pity on him and handed  him a bag with a burger and a twenty
in it.
He took the bag but didn't really say anything or show much appreciation.

Well, as I left I noticed, not far from him, a backpack and trekking poles.
I said to myself, geee, I never saw a "Homeless" with trekking poles.
Then it dawned on me.......that is not a "Homeless" that is a "Thru-hiker".

So you see, besides "Gortex,"  this is how you tell a "Homeless" from a
"Thru-hiker"......Homeless are usually cleaner, better dressed, less
malnourished and more normal looking.
BTW...they also always appreciate hand outs and assistance and never
take them for granted,
like a few of our "Thru-hiker" friends do.

JMT Reinhold
Your normal looking trail companion

---