[pct-l] Section hikers need advice re: starting north of Sonora Pass in early- or mid-May

Hank Magnuski hankm at mtinet.com
Fri Mar 13 13:33:18 CDT 2015

Hello Brian,

Sonora Pass Highway 108 closes for the winter and to even get to the
Pass you need to wait for Caltrans to re-open the highway, which
normally occurs around the third week in May. But this year is low snow
so the open date will probably be earlier.

The Sonora Peak saddle is your last 10,000 ft pass and is likely to have
significant snow in early May.

Carson Pass (Highway 88) is open all year and is at a lower elevation,
so you might want to consider that as an alternative.

Hank