[pct-l] do you like to run on the PCT?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 14 13:44:02 CDT 2015

Good morning,

Only once in all my years on the PCT:  In July of ’99 I was hiking SoBo on
the PCT, and after descending the skirts of Mt. Hood and crossing Hwy-35 at
Barlow Pass I saw another person approaching from the south.  He had
running gear and a number on his singlet so I just said, “Hi” as he charged
by.  Some minutes later came the beginning of about 20 minutes of
additional runners.

A few hours later I heard something behind me and turned to find it was the
first runner I had encountered; this time on the return leg of his
up-and-back ultra-marathon between the old Clackamas River Guard Station
and Timberline Lodge.  Later came the rest of the throng – spread out over
several hours.  That first guy won the race with a time just a few ticks
over 7 hours.

I would not have been pleased having to run uphill, at a 6,000-feet
altitude, on that dune-sand just below Timberline.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/