[pct-l] running on the PCT

Drew Smith jdrewsmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:40:30 CDT 2015

I think this is the right approach - managing the problem rather than
trying to solve it.  People who try to solve problems invariably create new
ones.

There is no way to ban trail runners, even if it were desirable, so the
question here is what to do about organized trail running events.  A
reasonable approach would be for the PCTA to reach out to the organizers
with our concerns and propose some mitigations that would give everyone
what they need (not necessarily all they want).  For example, we could
propose to limit the size and number of events; schedule around peak PCT
herd times; and most importantly, educate runners on trail courtesy and
best practices, as well as stewardship and volunteering opportunities.
I'll bet that most of the runners who have behaved rudely simply were off
in their own little world (just like hikers) and didn't realize the impact
of their behavior.

This approach would create allies rather than adversaries, which is always
a lot more effective in the long run.

Happy Hour