[pct-l] do you like to run on the PCT?

Caitlin caitlinlea at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 14 14:04:44 CDT 2015

Hello all,
It makes me sad that so many people see trail runners in such a negative light. I'm very active in my local trail running community in Colorado and while I know there are disrespectful people to be found everywhere, in every sport or activity, I've been fortunate enough to have very positive experiences with runners I've met in my own community as well as in other areas I've traveled to run and hike.  Many trail running communities work actively with open space and local and state agencies in maintaining and building trails.  Many ultra distance events require participants to put in a certain number of hours working on trails in order to be allowed to race.  Most trail runners I know give back every opportunity they can because they love the trails they run on and the lands that they pass through.

I remember one race I participated in (not on the PCT but here in Colorado) when there were about ten frontrunners, including myself, running single file downhill along a narrow trail.  Two hikers came towards us in the opposite direction.  Every one of us runners stopped and stepped aside for these people to pass and greeted them warmly.  I wouldn't dream of asking or bullying anyone to step aside for me - that is horribly rude.  There are probably runners who would do this but I think they only represent a very small minority of the community.

I should add that I don't necessarily disagree with the stance the PCTA is taking on this but I am surprised by all of the negativity towards trail runners.  I love to both run and hike on trails and I don't think those activities are so different, nor are the people who love to do them.  Trail runners, and hikers and backpackers, as a whole are some of the most environmentally conscious people I meet in my life.
Happy trails,Caitlin