[pct-l] running on the PCT

Drew Smith jdrewsmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:49:41 CDT 2015

Andrea, sorry I wasn't clear.  By "schedule around peak PCT herd times" I
meant schedule at different times in order to minimize conflict.  Even
though trail runners are going faster than hikers, they are not going
Mexico to Canada, so it is not inevitable that they will have to pass
through the herd.

As for your second question, I guess my answer would be "as a courtesy to a
fellow human being".  Just as I would do for a hiker who hikes faster than
me.  Of course numbers matter - stepping aside a few times a day is a
trivial inconvenience, while having to do it a hundred times in a couple of
hours is obnoxious.

I don't think a perfect solution is possible, but I am sure that there are
some pretty simple means to minimize conflict and build mutual respect and
support between the two groups.

Living in Boulder I encounter plenty of runners on the local trails.  Never
once has one been rude to me, even though my 120 lb Newf is often blocking
the trail when they come by.  They are just people doing their thing in a
pretty low-impact way on land that we all own and cherish.

Peace,
Happy Hour/Drew