[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 87, Issue 19

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Fri Mar 20 12:20:50 CDT 2015

A thoughtful hiker can reach a base weight of about 12 pounds with no significant sacrifices, and closer to 10 pounds with careful thought, minor sacrifices, and $$$.

I’d guess that if you weighted packs of hikers passing through Lake Morena, the average would be 15-20 pounds.  Most of these hikers with heavy packs will either figure out a better system and send gear home or leave it in hiker boxes, or will drop off the trail.  It’s a lot of abuse on the body to hike dawn to dusk with an unnecessarily heavy pack.

David