[pct-l] Halfmile 2014 Maps

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 21 03:33:10 CDT 2015

Jake wrote:> I'm doing a hike this year from the southern terminus to Cascade Locks, OR.> I just had the realization that when I ordered maps last month, they were> Halfmile's 2014 maps. Is it worth me buying the 2015 ones or should I just> plan on using the 2014s?For the purposes of navigation, I very much doubt the increased accuracy in the 2015 maps will make any practical difference to you.  Halfmile's maps have been very accurate for awhile now and people hiked with last year's maps just fine last year.There are only two reasons why the 2015 maps might be desirable.  One, some waypoint descriptions and resupply information has been updated to reflect recent changes.  Two, the mile markers gradually diverge between the 2014 and 2015 maps as you move north so it'll be a little hard to have conversations about mileage between hikers with different map sets.  I didn't compare the two super closely but at a glance it looked like most of the difference is in northern California so everything after that is offset by ~10 miles.Unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket I wouldn't worry about it.Eric