[pct-l] Pack weight

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 21 03:49:20 CDT 2015

Leslie wrote:
> Can anyone tell me the AVERAGE expected weight of the pack of an AVERAGE
> hiker without food and water???

People vary a lot so I'm not sure a mathematical average would be useful even if it were possible.  I will say I'm constantly surprised at the number of non-lightweight thru-hikers I see who are cranking along, having a good time, and finish in Canada.  Those of us in the lightweight mindset tend to forget that not everyone feels as passionately about it as we do.

That said, I can take a wild guess.  Let's guess at the median (the point where half are above and half are below) because that's probably easier to eyeball.  Let's focus on thru-hikers, say about a month into it.  My unscientific guess is that it would be around 16 pounds.  Half of thru-hikers would have dry-weight packs below 16 lbs and the other half are above that point.  I dunno, seems reasonable based on my experience.  (To reveal my affiliation, my own dry weight is about 14 lbs.)

Here's something I just posted to the PCT Class of 2015 Facebook page: maybe it'll be useful for you.  I've written something like this here in PCT-L in past years, too.

(Begin copied post)

There's a thousand opinions out there about what you should and should not take with you on a thru-hike. You've been barraged by them constantly for the past few months. Here's the real deal: "Eric's Comprehensive Theory of Pack Weight". (Warning: long)

Let's do a thought experiment. You want to walk to Canada. What should you take with you? Imagine an enormous 150 pound pack. Would someone lugging that gigantic monster have a good chance of making it to Canada? Probably not. The odds are almost zero.

Ok, let's knock some weight off that sucker. Bring it down to 75 lbs. Is that better? Does our prospective thru-hiker have a better chance of making it to Canada? Sure. Still not great, but a lot better than before. Don't think anyone would argue with that.

Ok, how about bringing it down to 25 lbs? Does that improve a hiker's chances? Absolutely, for most people. It's a lot easier to walk with 25 lbs than 75 lbs, so we're still heading in the right direction.

I like where this is going so let's save time and go all the way to the logical conclusion. How about 0 lbs? As in, buck naked, nothing on your back, nothing in your hands, no shoes. What's your chances of making it to Canada now? Uh oh, the odds have suddenly plummeted to almost zero again. So everyone needs *some* stuff. Huh.

If you draw a graph of "odds of finishing" vs. "pack weight" you find that it's kind of a bell curve. Probably a kind of squashed curve with a short, steep left side and a long gradual right side. The trick, as a thru-hiker, is to dial in on the top of the curve and find the mix of gear that maximizes your chances of getting to Canada. Not too much, not too little. Just right.

Here's the secret: THE OPTIMUM POINT IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE!

For Joe, his chances of getting to Canada are actually improved if he carries a book to read, so he doesn't get bored and quit. For Sally, her chances of getting to Canada drop if she carries that same book. Different people, different needs.

It's fine to listen to advice from experienced people. Learn from the mistakes of others. But at the end of the day the only one who can find the optimum balance point for you is you. You might not even figure it out until Washington, then it changes on you because it's late September and the rains start. Don't be afraid to fiddle with your gear as you go along. Mail stuff home, have new things sent to you. Explore. Experiment. Find the top of your own personal bell curve.

And above all, enjoy your hike. It's not about the gear, it's about having one hell of an adventure and if you're on the trail you're one of the luckiest people in the world!

Eric