[pct-l] Solar Chargers

Brian Watt bwatt at 1fifoto.com
Sun Mar 22 20:21:55 CDT 2015

Kelly B, aka Jinx,

I used a Suntactics s5 for my thru-hike last year and was happy with it,
however, you've got to understand how to use it. I found that the best
approach forcharging was to always attach a battery (such as an Anker
3000 mAh lipstick battery) to the solar charger and mount my charger on
the top of my pack so that it charged as I hiked all day through sun or
shade. Then when I got to camp I would plug in my phone into the battery
while I slept. This was better than attaching my phone directly to my
solar charger, because in the shade the phone would continue to run and
not charge the phone's battery. Also I went through three iPhone USB
cords due fatigue from flexing.

Sincerely, Tartan