[pct-l] Please, People. Don't do this (Brick Robbins)

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri May 8 13:23:13 CDT 2015

Hi, Tom!

Good to know! I’ve volunteered with El Dorado on the CA side and Douglas on the NV side of South Lake Tahoe in the past.

The mountains are going to be dry unless we get all those thunderstorms again like last year. But, then, we might get the fires, too. So it might be a “different” kind of summer for all the sierra hikers in these drought conditions after another dry winter.

People need to quit theorizing and betting on probabilities in order to travel as light as possible and prepare for the trail realities that might be present when they inject themselves into the high country

Hot daytime temperatures
Hot metabolisms and feet
Dry trail, creeks, and below-rim lakes with no inflows
Limited springs
Stagnant, not moving, water that is dirty and stinky
Greater distances between reliable water
Oily/Dirty film on lake water
Daily water carries that may include over-night and morning needs.

Now, if we get the monsoon thunderstorms like we did last year, all this could change. Certainly we didn’t get any snow during the winter yet we are now in May, so go figure, but don’t rely on figuring, plan for the dry conditions, and filter!

The southern sierra wasn’t very fun to be in last week...

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org