[pct-l] Fwd: PCT Prep

walt Durling durlfam4 at icloud.com
Mon May 18 18:19:05 CDT 2015

Amen on choosing the right backpack.  Other than your sleeping bag, its the most important piece of equipment you'll have.

Pay attention to the manufacturers recommendation for max load weight for their various models.  For the most part I've found them fairly accurate (unlike tent manufacturers who describe their tents as 1, 2, or 3 person - laughable).  Ultralight backpacks, those weighing less than 2 lbs anyway, have their advocates, but cannot handle loads in excess of 25 lb, and that's a stretch for long distances.  Carrying several days of food and 6-7 liters of water in the desert and/or other long dry stretches will easily put your pack weight into the mid to upper 30s.  You'll want a pack that is comfortable for your frame, and a hip belt that'll carry most of the load on or above your hips rather than your shoulders.  A good pack isn't cheap, but will pay dividends out in the trail.  walt

Sent from my iPad