[pct-l] (no subject)

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:45:36 CST 2015

Another option is to start really early northbound on the Appalachian Trail
in Feb. or March, finish it fast and then southbound on either the PCT or
the CDT.  Cloudwalker, a young man from Washington State, did the AT and
CDT last year that way and still made it to the American Long Distance
Hiking Association West's, Gathering in late Sept. to receive his Triple
Crown Award.  He had done the PCT in an earlier year.  But to do those
kinds of miles you have to be a super fast hiker.  He clocked 35 to 40
miles per day at times on the AT, the physically hardest of the three, and
faster than that on the CDT.  He's a really fast hiker.  He just gave me a
rabbit chase up Mt. Diablo, our best local training spot, last week that
was one of the fastest times I've done in a long time, and he was
moderating his pace so as to be able to talk to me.

Eric, who I hiked  most of the CDT with, made a big loop of trails over 2
years that went like this:  PCT sobo (southbound) in the summer of 2010,
Florida Trail during the winter, AT nobo (northbound) during the summer of
2011, Arizona Trail during the winter and then CDT nobo in the summer of
2012.  But he too is a really fast and strong hiker.  He slowed down enough
to hike  with us geezers in 2012 on the CDT only because he wanted to hike
with us.  We never could have kept up with him otherwise.

Most of us mere mortals hike one of the big ones per season, or two or
three of the shorter ones.  The three great trails range  in length from
2,100 to 3,100 miles, enough that most of us can complete one in a season,
but not more than that.  But if you are in the range of super fast hikers
the two options above are just an example of how you can link trails.  Cam
Honan, AKA "Swami", a fellow Australian, actually linked 12 great trails,
if I'm remembering it right, over a 2 year period, creating some on his own
out of several shorter trails.  He actually completed the Triple Crown,
PCT, CDT and AT in one calendar year during this time.  But he's one of the
greatest long distance walkers on the planet at this point.  So it can be
done, and if you're capable, more power to ya and keep us posted, as we all
love to follow the big endeavors.

Welcome to the PCTL and good luck on whatever you choose..

Shroomer