[pct-l] Cheap down jackets

vanvelzer at charter.net vanvelzer at charter.net
Mon Nov 9 23:45:19 CST 2015

I have to disagree. I have used down for over 40 years and never had a
problem. I agree that when it's wet you lose the ability to keep warm,
but why is it wet? Never had that problem, not in a jacket and not in
a sleeping bag. If it's clumped in a ball, like after being squished,
then just shake it and it will even out again. I'm not sure of the
"goose" story, but I know a lot of geese and ducks are eaten in Asia
and that's where a lot of our down comes from. I can't imagine pulling
feathers out of live animals. I have seen factories where down is
processed and seperated into different grades. Sure, synthetics are an
option, but I really don't think they keep you any warmer than down,
especially for the weight.Golly