[pct-l] Planning for PCT 2016

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Oct 7 13:14:42 CDT 2015

>  My finals finish the first week of May so I was hoping to
> start the second week of May and need to finish up my hike in the first
> week of August (Hence doing a segment instead of a thru-hike, much to my
> own chagrin.)

I hiked during a very strong el niño year. I was watching the snow
pillows online (this was one of the first real time data sources
available on the brand new internet back then)  and projected the date
where Tindal Creek would be at zero. That had me start 15 June in
Campo

I hit snow on the Bighorn Plateau on July 13th (my birthday, I
remember the date) and had constant coverage above 10,000ft from
Forester to Yosemite, then easing down to 7,000 from there up to
Sierra City.

I finally lost the snow around Lassen.

Navigation south of Interstate 80 (back before GPS) in the steep
walled canyons was pretty easy, even in the snow, but north of 80 was
really difficult due to the more rolling terrain.

This year I would expect lower than normal snow in the Cascades, and
much higher than normal from Tahoe south. In any event, plan on an ice
axe, and traction devices. A good GPS would be useful too.