[pct-l] minor aches and pains after six days; could I have ever been a through hiker?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 10:04:43 CDT 2015

Hey David,

Congrats on finishing after all these years.   That's love and
perseverance!  I find that no matter where I start, the first week always
has some bloody discharge from my nose.  It's at its worst in the High
Sierra if I have no break in, and this year with the Rough Fire, it was
there the whole time I was up there.  The sheer exertion and heavy
breathing of backpacking is so different from breathing most of the time at
home that I think it aggravates the membranes.  Dry air at altitude makes
it worse than a hike on the coast in moist air and low altitude, but add
smoke to it and forget about it.  It's gonna be bad.  The solution for me
each year is to get into the second week when it lessens and finally goes
away.  I've never had it linger on any of my thru hikes.  The body adjusts
and toughens the inside of my nose.  By hiking 6 days per year, you're
always getting the hardest part.  The first week on trail is always the
hardest for me.  After that it gets easier and by the 3rd week you're just
living a different life.  Trail life.

And as for geezers on trail, it's the perfect adventure for us.  You can
start out slow and build into it.  I've met a number of 80 year old thru
hikers that simply blew me away!

Thanks for all the info.

Shroomer