[pct-l] Walker Pass

Joe Waters joewwaters at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 1 11:51:12 CDT 2016

Rick,

When I did F in 2011, it was with a friend, and we did a car shuttle.  But you can do it by bus.    (1) buses Bakersfield<->Kernville<->Inyokern getting off at Walker Pass, or - by phoning ahead getting picked up at Walker Pass; and Bakersfield<>Mojave (this bus will let you off, or by phoning ahead will pick you up, at the PCT crossing of hwy 58;  I used it getting back to Lancaster - then light rail to LA - when I did section E last year) - Google “Kern County Transit” for this.  (2) And buses Inyokern<->Mohave - Google “Eastern Sierra Transit" for this”.

When I do the southern bit of G in a few weeks (only bit of the trail I haven’t done), I plan to hitch back from KM to car at Walker Pass.  I’ve done a good bit of PCT-related hitching (and local buses) over the past few years, especially up in NoCal, Oregon and Washington - with generally good experiences and met interesting people.  I’ve had good luck getting picked up - but I’m 72 and small, so apparently people don’t consider me a threat.  :-)

(For upcoming G in a few weeks, I also looked into leaving my car at Inyokern  [Inyokern Ace Hardware said they would charge $20 to leave car there for a few days] and then either hitching or taking taxi, ~$50 from Inyokern, to Walker Pass.  If my notes are correct, the Inyokern taxi phone number is 760-384-2227.  But I have decided instead to spend first night at Walker Pass campground and get early start on trail next morning.)

Hope this helps.  Have a good hike.

- Blue Feather