[pct-l] Umbrella or hat in SoCal?

Lucky Man luckymanhikes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 10:43:55 CDT 2016

I have an 8-ounce Liteflex chrome hiking umbrella I got for the SoCal
section of the PCT (Campo to Walker Pass), which I start in mid-April. I
have read many positive reviews from hikers who have used this umbrella
here, but now I have also read some negative reviews with complaints that
it was often too windy in Southern California to use the umbrella. I also
have a Zpacks pointy hat that I wore along the Sierras section of the PCT
last summer; it provided decent protection from the sun and is the best of
many hiking hats I have used over the years. For those who have used the
umbrella in SoCal, would you recommend it or suggest the pointy hat
instead? What did you wear for sun protection when it was too windy to use
the umbrella?
Thanks
Lucky Man