[pct-l] Navigation Skills? // Re: Pct-L Digest, Vol 100, Issue 9

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Apr 11 11:19:35 CDT 2016

I find that most of our students simply don't gravitate to understanding the
use of the map & compass and, instead, rely on written instructions
regarding following the trail, trail junctions and signs, and geographical
highlights like the major passes, highway crossings, town exits for
resupply, and so forth.

Mountain Education brings that to light and teaches
environmental/topographical awareness compared to a 3-D understanding of the
topo map they need to have in their heads each day. After studying their
maps over dinner and breakfast, we teach our students to begin their day
anticipating the next trail highlight or landmark, something that stands out
that confirms where they are, which could be a particular bend in a creek,
an odd-shaped lake or meadow, a ridge followed by no trees, etc..

The moment that they don't see what they should be seeing, we teach them to
stop (Stop, Think, Observe, Plan) and look around, take out their maps and
trail descriptions, and compare what they see to what the map in three
dimensions tells them. This is how they Stay Found!

Hikers in increasing numbers these days are relying on electronics to
navigate by. Electronic devices do not do well if cold or wet, so should not
be relied upon as a primary navigational tool. They can fail, break, get
lost, or run out of power. What is between your ears, your understanding of
where you are going based on the enjoyable views or dramatic/interesting
scenery ahead, can't be lost and makes your trip all the more enjoyable!

Map & Compass and GPS are adjuncts, at least in my mind, to an excited and
enjoyable understanding of the country I'm working to travel through based
on my 3-D understanding of a topographic map and a written trail
description.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."