[pct-l] Navigation Skills?

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Mon Apr 11 23:58:39 CDT 2016

I think there are a couple other considerations.  No matter how prepared you are with back-up batteries, etc, sometimes devices just crash.  I had a GPS that just crapped out and quit working, and at that point was nothing but a hockey puck I carried for the rest of the section I was hiking.
But I wasn't dependent on the thing, because like you, I can read a map and understand terrain. (And unlike most hikers today, I use the GPS as a back-up to my map, not my maps as a back-up to the GPS.)

Additionally, here's what I have noticed about people who learn to use a GPS and don't develop map skills.  They tend to walk constantly looking at and referring to the device and following wherever it says to go; there seems to be less associating what they are seeing on the device with the actual features and landmarks around them.  In my opinion, associating the features on the map with what's around you is even more important than compass skills.