[pct-l] Navigation Skills

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Tue Apr 12 14:42:45 CDT 2016

David-

I tend to agree with you. I grew up a map-and-compass guy and had a decent skill set in using them. All of the effort it took to orient the map, cite in landmarks, triangulate, etc., was a great incentive to learning to read a topo and keep a mental map in my head. I can't recall the last time I actually went through the process of triangulation, but it has been many years.

The rap against GPS is that they fail. That is true, of course, but one can drop a compass over a cliff or just step on it. Paper maps can get lost, wet, or otherwise destroyed. Every means of navigation has a failure risk associated with it.

As you note, the problem with GPS-centric navigation is that one can become complacent and just push a button to see 'where am I' without developing a natural location awareness. Constantly reviewing the map for landmarks and tracking time walked at expected mph is by far the best way of remaining oriented while hiking. I would encourage all hikers to develop this skill-all it takes is reviewing the map at frequent intervals and comparing map features to the world around you. After a short while a quick glance at the map and terrain will suffice for orientation. Then just keep checking at frequent intervals and you will always have a sense of where you are. In addition, it is fun to know the names of the features you are passing.

I do still bring a compass, but it is a cheap small one. I have found it useful as a means to save GPS battery life when orienting off trail to a particular feature. I use my GPS to determine direction of travel, dial in the compass to point me in the desired direction, hang it around my neck, and keep referencing the compass to stay on track. I can then verify direction without firing up the GPS repeatedly. That is the only way I have used my compass over the last 5+ years.

Herb

Herb Stroh  |  Partner
Sinsheimer Juhnke McIvor & Stroh, LLP
1010 Peach Street  |  PO Box 31  |  San Luis Obispo, CA  93406
P 805 541 2800  |  F 805 541 2802
HStroh at sjmslaw.com<mailto:HStroh at sjmslaw.com>   |  www.sjmslaw.com<http://www.sjmslaw.com/>

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: ATTORNEY/CLIENT COMMUNICATION
This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments thereto.

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.