[pct-l] Navigation InReach

RMarquis hrsnarnd at webformixair.com
Fri Apr 15 13:58:50 CDT 2016

I also had several preset messages set up but I was mainly texting to my
husband, my support team, and he needed to know what time and mile I was at
when I sent a message.  Since texts only show, as far as we know, the time
the text comes into the recipient’s phone we made it a practice to always
include time sent and from what mile.  While packing I sent him a message
each night & next morning...'camping at mile such-n-such' or 'on the trail'
when I rode out in the morning.
My InReach also connects via Bluetooth to a smart phone.  I use a Samsung 3,
with US Cellular that works quite good in the woods by the way, and had no
trouble getting the two to connect.  But having the better keyboard must
have enticed me to send a message that was too long because the InReach was
quickly sucking the life out of the phone.  So I disconnected the Bluetooth
and managed just fine with the antiquated keyboard on the InReach.  We
learned about abbreviations pretty quickly.
A full charge on the InReach lasted several days with it being turned on all
day.  If one kept it off during the day it would last a lot longer.  I think
keeping your electronic devices wrapped and warm at night will improve
battery life, but I could be wrong.
The few times I packed for more than 3 or 4 days in a row I carried a solar
panel and/or auxiliary battery and put it ‘on charge’ while breaking camp
and packing up the horses.

Rhonda

Message: 5