[pct-l] This will be more than you're bargaining for.

Kaercher, Alexandra akaercher at liberty.edu
Mon Apr 18 18:28:43 CDT 2016

I think that people who are avid backpackers get a little frustrated when newbies get excited (in my experience thus far) and don't know what they're doing but jump right in.

So please don't get upset with me, but I am a newbie, but I'm trying to prepare as best as I can before embarking on the journey I hope to take this summer.

My hope is to hike for a month (35 days allotted since I don't have experience with this) from June 5 to July 10, last stop being Portland (I know I'd have to hitchhike to get there) where I'll meet up with friends who are there. I live in Lynchburg, VA. I've never done this, I hope to cover 560 miles in the time that I'm on the PCT (eventually averaging 18 miles a day).
I'm in the beginning planning stages so I'm researching gear, comparing reviews and costs as best as I can in my blank slate of hiking knowledge other than a handful of hikes I've done for sunrises and whatnot. I think I'll need a long distance permit, since I hope to go more than 500 miles. I can't quite determine where I should start yet (presumably 560 miles south from the last stop I'd make before getting a ride to Portland), but I don't know where that is.

Basically, I'm trying to do this in an educated manner as best as I can so as not to frustrate people who know about doing section thru-hikes and also to be wise, but I'm a little uninformed about a lot. So if anyone is willing to help me in a way I can understand, I would be very grateful. I've got about a month and a half to plan this. I know, that's not a lot of time. But hey, that's okay.

Anyway I have reached out to people I know directly, I just thought people actually doing the PCT would be a good place to seek out as well for advice and guidance.

Thanks homies!

Alexandra